Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Descending to hell

Lisa was hit by a drunk driver on July 18, 2009.  She was driving home from Arby's, after getting some fast food for the two of us.  The kids were in bed.  The baby was asleep next to me in the car seat.  I was watching some crap television show that we had recorded earlier on our DVR.

Lisa was only supposed to take 15 minutes to go to Arbys and then come home.  She didn't make it home in 15 minutes.  She was driving westbound with a sack of munchies next to her, and was less than two miles from our house when she was hit.

Lisa was hit by a drunk driver.  The driver was driving eastbound with his brights on.  The road that Lisa and the drunk driver were on is a three-lane road.  Lisa was in hers, he was in his.  He was blinding her.

Lisa flicked her high beams on-and-off, quickly.  On-and-off.  Just like that.  A quick flick of the lights to let the opposite driver know that she couldn't see.  The drunk driver hesitated, then immediately swerved into her lane and hit her head-on at approximately 40 miles an hour.  He tried to kill her.

Lisa didn't make it home in 15 minutes.  The fire department called, "your wife has been in a car accident."  I made them call me back through relay.  I couldn't hear what the fireman said.  When the videophone rang:.

"Your wife has been in a car accident..." and like that, my world ended.  "She was taken by ambulance to the hospital."

After rushing mind-numbingly through the night to her side, I saw her.  Lisa was cut up and bruised.  When she saw me, she burst into tears.  I couldn't kiss her.  I couldn't touch her lovely face.

Lisa's face was encapsulated by a neck brace, and she was on a body board.  Lisa couldn't feel her feet, her legs, and her hips.  Her back was on fire.  A battery of tests showed no obvious injuries.

A week, a month, two months, then three.

Lisa cannot walk without a cane.  The first two weeks, Lisa is in bed.  She can't move.  Our church brings food for her and for us; I was hit two days after my bride was.  We are both bedridden. Our children are in the care of family for almost two weeks.  Eva is traumatized.  Everything scares her.  Keona wonders when she'll be seeing mommy and daddy.  Our baby has to learn to like formula; Lisa can't feed him.  She is in too much pain.

Lisa is not getting better.  It is now September.  Lisa stumbles as she walks.  The stairs are an ordeal.

The drunk driver only spent two hours in jail.  He is fine.

We need to move.  Lisa and I have a hard time living in our house now.  It hurts too much to use the stairs.  What can we do?

5 comments:

  1. Are u kidding me?? This is insane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! That is horrible! What a blessing the church and your family and friends are. It can be so frustrating that we all have free agency, yet sometimes other people's free agency ruins ours! Hope and pray you both recover soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my goodness! I did not know anything about Lisa's accident and yours as well. I am so sorry this happened...I am now finding this news through your blog that was posted by a friend on FaceBook..is there anything that we can do to help?

    Please don't hesistate to let me know what I can do to help...Hugs...Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so sympthazie with you guys! Troy has been through a DUI Car accident the year i was on my mission. It is a trauma, something no one should experience!!
    It would be good idea if Troy and Lisa could talk with each other, since both of them have survived and understand completely!
    Can we get in touch soon? Please let me know, my email is smileybear36@hotmail.com
    You remember me from our USU days back in Logan, Utah 13 years ago. We used to hang out together among our group.
    Hugs, Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. So do we have an attorney-- lawyers are not all bad. I have found they have their purpose, like getting your lovely Lisa the medical care she needs and have it paid for. Love you guys. leta

    ReplyDelete